Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Ekphrasitic Explorations

This is the second ekphrastic poem I've ever done, which is a poem written in response to a work of art.  Henry Tanner's "Salome" has long been one of my favorite paintings. I am drawn to the deep blue hues in several of his pieces, without really connecting to the religious theme of the subject matter at first. Neither did I know the story of Salome, who is King Herod's daughter. Researching that story further for this poem not only led to a deeper appreciation of the painting, but gave me multiple perspectives from which to frame my poem.

Blue Note
By Anne Eston

(After Henry Tanner’s “Salome”)

I danced for him
but did not become
the lover I thought myself to be.

I step into the half-light.
Moonlight shimmers
on my nudity…

Waiting for a lover
who can see
the filmy hesitancy of my 
womanhood.

My hidden eyes will tell you,
my mother’s prize is not my own—
ignore the dead man in the corner.

I’m a writer of magical realism, a mentor to women writers of all ages, and a story magic archaeologist. I hold an MFA in Creative Writing, and I live in Los Angeles with my husband and our two Imp Muses (cats) Stanley and Sofia. Join my mailing list for a free guide on story magic!

www.writeranne.net ⁎ anne@writeranne.net ⁎ Twitter @wildwriteranne ⁎ Facebook Wild Woman Writer




No comments: